[CT Birds] Withdrawing my call on Swainson's Hawk

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 19:20:06 EDT 2009

I wish that I had not spoken so soon after we observed that possible
juvenile Swainson's Hawk at Boothe Park, because I feel that was all that  it was
- a possible Swainson's Hawk.  The profile looked good for one,  but I am
not convinced.  Even though I was looking through a scope,  the bird was a
long way out in less than great light.  If I am going to  call that one, I
want to be 100% sure and I am not.
Scott and Brian agreed with me on the shape of the bird, but I had the only
 scope and I am not so sure of the plumage details as I want/need to be.
It  is my bad, because I told Scott and Brian at the time that I
thought it was a Swainson's Hawk based upon what I could see of plumage
through the scope, as well as the long, rather narrow wing which we all noted
as  the bird soared in circles next to a Red-tailed Hawk.  More reflection
makes me less and less certain though.
Glumly yours,
Charlie Barnard