[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 2 Mississippi Kites, probable Cackling Goose

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 20:08:52 EDT 2009

Hi All,

A great day at Hawkwatches throughout Connecticut today our two Mississippi Kites, Boothe Parks Swainson's Hawk and speaking to Nick it sounds like LHPP had quite the Eagle Show. The Mississippi Kites were numbers 2 and 3 for me in CT and I've never had to bother chasing one which is nice. The first was seen at TBV with Charlie Barnard as we waited for a Dickcissel to reappear that i'd seen earlier in the day and todays came right to me. The birds seemed to drift in from the southeast and depart westwards. Cool to see one of this years young following mum/dad back to sunnier climes. We got treated to a pretty decent show with the bird hawking dragonflies and eating on the wing. At one point the young bird dropped whatever it was eating and swooped down to grab the thing again.

We also had a probable Cackling Goose. Structurally it seemed good etc but it wasn't as obviously tiny as the weekend goose and with the terrible lighting today it was hard to pick up the plumage details that we'd had one the bird at the weekend. Not sure the pictures we got of the bird help much either. Ben who is the unofficial photographer at Quaker, had wandered away from the watch at the time the kites flew over to check the orchard for sparrows etc and just mnaged a brief look as the birds disappeared across the treeline - isn't that always the way with photography!

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.underclearskies.com