[CT Birds] Yard visitors, finally!

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:25:56 EDT 2009

10/15,  Stratford yard/feeders-

After agreeing with the recent e-mail going around about the absence of birds in yard and at feeders, today changed that trend. For the longest time, I only had House Sparrows and a pair of Downies coming around, with a random House Finch or Red-belly.

While doing homework in my dining room at around 10:30a, I heard sparrow calls in the yard so I checked out the window and saw my newly cleaned and filled feeders were quite busy (compared to recently, that is).... as was the areas under them, in the bushes, on the yard... all over.  Passerines were enjoying seeds from various fauna all over.

10:30-11:00a-

(5) Blue Jays
(1) Savannah Sparrow
(1) SOng Sparrow
(1) Lincoln's Sparrow (new yard bird)
(3) White-throated Sparrows
(2) White-breasted Nuthatches
(2) Downies
(1) Hairy
(1) Red-belly
(1) Carolina Wren
(3) House Finch
(1) Goldfinch

Also the normal 20-30 House Sparrows (I succesfully fed at least 20 broods this year!), some MoDos, and various common Blackbirds.  Some Yellow-rumps were working the wood egdes, and a single adult male Black-throated Blue Warbler continues in the same 25 square yard patch of wood edge/thickets (over a week now).  I also heard the little chirp of a Winter Wren, then saw him popping up and down as he chirped from a brush pile.  Until this guy, I never had a chance to really study a WInter Wren.  Hopefully he'll hang around for a while.

At one point, all 4 sparrow species were in view on my patio, picking out weed/grass seeds, giving me a chance to photosgraph all of them, often with 2-3 species in the same frame.  It made for some good sparrow studying.  Nice to have some actoin again!

Anyone els have an influx today after wweks of just about nothing??

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com