[CT Birds] LPP Friday - Golden Eagles, No. Goshawk, etc.

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 20:24:49 EDT 2009

 From Dana Campbell with Lynn James, Dori Sosensky, Nick Bonomo, Judy Moore,
and Richard Payne
10/16 - New Haven, Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch - 2 GOLDEN EAGLES ( 1
Adult, 1 Juvenile), 1 NORTHERN GOSHAWK (Juvenile)
Despite dire predictions, with 100% cloud cover, strong NE winds, some rain
and drizzle:  459 Diurnal Raptors counted today, flying from 7 a.m. to 5
p.m.!
4 Juvenile Bald Eagles (one of which appeared at 4:30 p.m.)  Both Golden
Eagles and the Goshawk showed up in the 3:00-4:00 hour.  It was a big day
for Northern Harriers (36 total.)  At about 7:30 a.m. there were four
Harriers buzzing the field all around the Hawkwatch site.  Cool!  Some late
Broadwings came through (23.)  and we also had 13 PEREGRINE FALCONS, 54
Kestrels, and 19 Merlins.  3 Common Snipe migrated over, as did 6 Great Blue
Herons.
Richard Payne worked the woods and flushed an American Woodcock.

And the moral of this story is:  don't believe everything the weatherman
says, and don't be too quick to depart the hawkwatch!  You never know....!
--
Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where
she may lay her young, at your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God.
 Happy are those who live in your house, ever singing your praise."    Psalm
84:3-4