[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - 3 Golden Eagles, Adult Northern Goshawk

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 21:36:38 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Think we can reflect Dana's decent sightings for the day at LHPP. Even though the weather kept many of the watchers away the birds seemed more than happy to be off south - I was kind of wishing I could join them on this cold/damp day. Catherine Hamilton and I managed to tally 3 Golden Eagles over the day, with help mainly from Mike Warner and Brian O'Toole. Highlight though for me was the stunning and lengthy views of an adult Northern Goshawk that slowly wheeled away menacingly in front of the watch before powerfully heading west. Also nice were the 22 Merlins logged over the day - continuing a fine year for these feisty raptors - at least by Quaker standards. In the grounds sparrows abounded with many Lincoln's continuing and a couple of White-crowneds knocking around. A particularly strong afternoon showing where there seemed to be birds almost in every quadrant of the sky at all times.

Luke Tiller, Wilton