[CT Birds] East Shore Pk (N. Waterthrush), Lighthouse Pt (Cliff Swallow)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 23:38:13 EDT 2009

Spent about an hour each at East Shore and Lighthouse Pt in New Haven
around midday.

East Shore was alive with migrants. This place is a mega waiting to
happen. Most impressive were the ~60 Palm Warblers, including one pure
flock of 45 birds feeding on the lawn at one time. There were also
many typical mid-Oct migrants such as Yellow-rumps, both kinglets, and
many sparrows. There were no swallows to be seen, but the insects are
certainly there, as revealed by the several Yellow-rumped Warblers
that were flycatching over the sewage treatment plant. As I was
driving out I kicked up a warbler from the entrance road that turned
out to be a Northern Waterthrush. Obviously seemed very out of place
on the pavement; it appeared healthy to my eyes and was able to fly
with no problem. In the harbor there were 45 Laughing Gulls, all

Two swallows passed by during my hour at Lighthouse Point: one Tree
and another late Cliff.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT