[CT Birds] Birding in the rain

Mark Barriger mark8bud8 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 18 18:15:48 EDT 2009

Even though it wasn't preferred birding weather today we still managed to enjoy several hours of birdwatching. Mackenzie Reservoir was goose less except for one unlucky individual who was dead with a Bald Eagle sitting on top of it. What great up close views we had of this bird having a meal in the rain. The two Greater White-fronted Geese were again in a small flock off of Whirlwind Hill Rd. I have missed on the Barnacle every time since finding it last Sunday.

The Rocky Hill Meadows sounded like some wet fun so we headed up that way to see what was around. Even though the weather was nasty we had a blast. Birds were everywhere! A flock of well over a hundred American Pipits, thousands of blackbirds, Yellow-rumps & Palms (everywhere!) and sparrows galore. Maybe nothing rare but sometimes quantity beats out quality.

Mark Barriger
Cheshire, CT
Mark8bud8 at hotmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitewash88/