[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club November Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 11:04:44 EDT 2009

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's November activities.

Larry Bausher, Publicity Director

Indoor Meetings:

Bird Book Discussion Group.  Monday, Nov 2, 7:00 PM. Free and open to
the public. We’ll discuss Living on the Wind: Across the Hemisphere
with Migratory Birds by Scott
Weidensaul. "Migration paths form an elaborate global web that shows
serious signs of fraying, and Weidensaul delves into the tragedies of
habitat degradation and deforestation with an urgency that brings
life to the vast problems these miraculous migrants now face, while
illuminating what may be the most compelling drama in the natural
world."  Miller Senior Center, Hamden, behind the public library, at
2901 Dixwell Ave. For more information, contact Sara Zagorski,
szagorski at daypitney.com, 860.275.0322.

Thursday, November 5, 7:30 PM Ian Newton, OBE, FRS, FRSE.  Population
Limitations in Migrants.
Refreshments and social half-hour at 7:00 PM.  The Jones Auditorium
of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington
St., New Haven, CT. Free and open to the public. Notice: this meeting
is the first Thursday of the month rather than the usual second
Thursday; also, there will be a Birder Tag Sale at the meeting.
Professor Newton, visiting from England, is an internationally known
and respected ornithologist who has had a distinguished career in
avian ecology and migration research. He is a prolific author and a
recipient of several prestigious awards for research and
conservation. His interest in birds, beginning in childhood,
continued in his Oxford studies and his life work. He will discuss
how migratory bird populations may be influenced by conditions in
more than one part of the world: in breeding, migration, and
wintering areas. Conditions in one area at one time of year can
influence survival or reproductive success later in the year in
another area.  Understanding this “connectivity” is a step toward
understanding the population limitation of migratory birds.  For more
information call 203.488.3876.

Field Trips:

NHBC 17th Annual Winter Feeder Survey.  November 1, 2009 through
March 31, 2010
This is a yearly census to determine the number and frequency of
birds visiting feeders in the greater New Haven area.  You are
invited to watch and record the activity at your feeder at least once
a week for the entire time period.  Call Peter Vitali at 203-288-0621
or vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net for more information.

First Wednesday Walk : Proto Drive, East Haven, Lighthouse Point Park.
Wednesday, November 4, 8 AM. Free and open to the public.
Meet on Proto Drive near the landfill. This area on the east side of
Tweed/New Haven Airport has a great array of late fall migrants and
some over-wintering species. Possibilities are hawks (including Rough-
legged), several sparrow species (including White-crowned), Eastern
Meadowlark, Marsh Wren, and thrushes. With luck we may get a Great
Horned Owl or American Bittern. Directions: Take I-95, Exit 51
Frontage Road. Go O.9 mi. Turn right onto Hemingway (Rte.142). Go
about one mile. Before Town Fair Tires, go right onto Proto. Trip
leader is Steve Broker.
Contact— Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com

Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Delaware and Eastern Neck
Island National Wildlife Refuge, Maryland.  Sunday Nov 8, at 6:25
AM.  Birding and Photography - Snow Geese and Tundra Swans.  The
highlight of this trip will be on Sunday when we enter Bombay Hook’s
main gate at 6:25 AM sharp and tour the refuge’s many ponds, pools,
and fields. We may see and photograph as many as 100,000 Snow Geese
and many other fall migrants, from  raptors  to  shorebirds. We will
also visit other excellent birding spots in the area, including
Eastern Neck Island NWR where we will find Tundra Swans. There are
motels in Dover and B&Bs in the area. For details, contact leaders:
Mike and Pat Horn 203-288-1891 or  mfhorn at att.net.

Sherwood Island State Park, Westport; Pequot Library, Southport
Saturday, November 14, 2009, 8:00 AM.
Meet at the main parking lot in the park, at Exit 18 of I-95, for a
visit to this fine coastal birding location where we’ll look for sea
ducks, gulls, raptors, shorebirds, and sparrows. Then we head to the
Pequot where we’ll have a private tour of the library’s remarkable
collection of historic and rare books about birds. A highlight will
be seeing the breathtakingly beautiful double elephant portfolio of
Audubon’s Birds of America, in the Bien edition, the third and last
edition of Audubon’s iconic work. Only 15 sets of this edition were
produced, making it the rarest, and some believe the most
interesting, of all the Audubon editions. Leader— Tina Green:
203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.