[CT Birds] Odd Characteristic of Hudsonian Godwit

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 09:28:59 EDT 2009

 <833814.59166.qm at web81502.mail.mud.yahoo.com>

10/20=2C
=20
I have seen what Roy is talking about in hummers.  This summer I  photograp=
hed a hummer with the tip of it's bill opened.  I wasn't sure why it was op=
en=2C or why it would need to be able to.
=20
Then I noticed that it was in fact eating aphids from the Hibiscus blooms m=
ore often than feeding on the nectar.  I concluded to myself that the openi=
ng of the bill must be for the eating of the insects.
=20
This year was my first really being able to study hummers=2C as several fre=
quented my feeders this year.  I was suprised to see how horizontally broad=
 their bills are at the base.  I never realized that.  It was also neat to =
see the translucent tongue slurped in and out when one perched after a long=
 drink.
=20
=20
Link to the photo below:
=20
http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/SwallowsSwiftsHummingbirds#53946718=
22027912626
=20
=20
-Brian Webster-
Stratford=2C CT
b.webster at hotmail.com

> Date: Tue=2C 20 Oct 2009 04:44:23 -0700
> From: rmharvey at snet.net
> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Odd Characteristic of Hudsonian Godwit
>
> --- On Tue=2C 10/20/09=2C Chris Elphick wrote:
>
>> .... this is really Margaret Rubega's
>> area of expertize)....
>>
>> .... Margaret's former student who did a lot of
>> high-speed video work with hummingbirds also has film of it
>> in various hummers.....
>
> That student did a fascinating presentation to the New Haven Bird Club on=
 his work=2C one of the most memorable I have attended. He was studying how=
 hummingbirds catch very small flying insects=2C and the flexing of the bil=
l tip was part of it.

> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls=2C CT

tinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org 		 	   		 =20