[CT Birds] Odd Characteristic of Hudsonian Godwit

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 09:33:11 EDT 2009

 <COL119-W358CF905571A97C77DF46EE3C00 at phx.gbl>

It appears that link didn't work correclty because some of it got cut off. =
 If it doesn't work again=2C a cut and paste will work.
=20
=20
=20
http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/SwallowsSwiftsHummingbirds#53946718=
22027912626

=20
=20
-Brian Webster-
Stratford=2C CT
b.webster at hotmail.com
> From: b.webster at hotmail.com
> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Date: Tue=2C 20 Oct 2009 09:28:59 -0400
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Odd Characteristic of Hudsonian Godwit
>

> <833814.59166.qm at web81502.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>

> 10/20=3D2C
> =3D20
> =3D20
> I have seen what Roy is talking about in hummers. This summer I photograp=
=3D
> hed a hummer with the tip of it's bill opened. I wasn't sure why it was o=
p=3D
> en=3D2C or why it would need to be able to.
> =3D20
> Then I noticed that it was in fact eating aphids from the Hibiscus blooms=
 m=3D
> ore often than feeding on the nectar. I concluded to myself that the open=
i=3D
> ng of the bill must be for the eating of the insects.
> =3D20
> This year was my first really being able to study hummers=3D2C as several=
 fre=3D
> quented my feeders this year. I was suprised to see how horizontally broa=
d=3D
> their bills are at the base. I never realized that. It was also neat to =
=3D
> see the translucent tongue slurped in and out when one perched after a lo=
ng=3D
> drink.
> =3D20
> =3D20
> Link to the photo below:
> =3D20
> http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/SwallowsSwiftsHummingbirds#539467=
18=3D
> 22027912626
> =3D20
> =3D20
> -Brian Webster-
> Stratford=3D2C CT
> b.webster at hotmail.com

>> Date: Tue=3D2C 20 Oct 2009 04:44:23 -0700
>> From: rmharvey at snet.net
>> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
>> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Odd Characteristic of Hudsonian Godwit
>>
>> --- On Tue=3D2C 10/20/09=3D2C Chris Elphick wrote:
>>
>>> .... this is really Margaret Rubega's
>>> area of expertize)....
>>>
>>> .... Margaret's former student who did a lot of
>>> high-speed video work with hummingbirds also has film of it
>>> in various hummers.....
>>
>> That student did a fascinating presentation to the New Haven Bird Club o=
n=3D
> his work=3D2C one of the most memorable I have attended. He was studying =
how=3D
> hummingbirds catch very small flying insects=3D2C and the flexing of the =
bil=3D
> l tip was part of it.
>>
>> Roy Harvey
>> Beacon Falls=3D2C CT

s=3D
> tinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org =3D20
tinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org 		 	   		 =20