[CT Birds] Extralimitals and POSSIBLE CT VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW

Julian Hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Tue Oct 20 14:53:42 EDT 2009

A LeConte's Sparrow in Mass and Sage Thrasher at Sandy Hook (see details
below) point to good birds arriving in the North-east.
With Bill Banks reporting a probable VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW at Lighthouse at
8:40-8:41am (perched on wires with Tree Swallows) we need to keep looking
hard. Only last week did I post a "heads-up" to hawkwatchers to keep an eye
out for this overdue vagrant....

NJ Birds,

> A Sage Thrasher is currently being viewed at Sandy Hook (20 Oct).   The
> bird is at Plum Island (accessed via B-lot) and is feeding in  Poison Ivy
> thickets at the southwest corner of the northern cove.   In other words,
> take the crosswalk across the road to Plum Island  and head straight
> (west) until you hit the edge of the large scrub  thicket.  The bird is
> being seen here.
>
> Thanks very much to the Trailside Birding group for finding this  rarity
> and letting us know so quickly!
>
> Good Birding,
>
> Scott Barnes
> Senior Naturalist