[CT Birds] Bluff Point SP - sparrows, rumps and thrushes

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 20 21:08:00 EDT 2009

Given the speed with which the wet weather moved out, I suspect that Monday was the good day at Bluff Point that Dave Provencher predicted a few days ago.  I was not able to go myself that morning, and have seen no reports (was anyone else there?), but Alejandro Rico Guevara, Diego Sustaita and I went down this morning.  We had a few 100 birds, mostly sparrows, yellow-rumpeds and robins. We almost certainly had more Catharus thrushes than the numbers below suggest, as it was hard to keep track of individuals while in the woods - at one point the three of us realized that the reason we were seeing different things was that we were each looking at different birds.  Highlights were a vesper sparrow and a gray-cheeked thrush, both near the big brush piles.  Migrant numbers below.

Chris

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1

Yellow-shafted Flicker      8
Eastern Phoebe     2