[CT Birds] Stratford yard/woods-

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 21 10:02:30 EDT 2009

10/21, Stratford yard/woods-
(1) Black-throated Blue Warbler (adult male) continues in the same area of wood-edge.  Present since 10/05 when he came with a group of about 10 BTBs.  It is getting VERY tough to pull his light chip out of all the sparrows and Yellow-rumps!  Luckily, he is almost always in the same group of vine covered trees... even with loud/obnoxious landscapers around today.
(1) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
(1) Winter Wren
(1) Hermit thrush
Still large numbers of Yellow-rumps, and almost ridiculous numbers of Robins feeding on various berries.  It seems the most desired right now are poison ivy berries (at least here).
Yesterday, while waiting for a shy Box turtle to poke his head out for some photos, I pished up a Winter wren (presumably the same one that has been hanging around since 10/05) to within 2-3 feet of where I was sitting, and it came up and landed on my backback.  Then an Eastern Comma landed even closer on a rock next to me.  As I was watching the butterfly, a young Sharpie landed about 25 yards away in a tree.  It was very neat to get a good close look at it's eyes and watch the fluxuation of pupil size as it's eyes/line of sight went in and out of the sun.
Ya gotta love when nature comes to you.....
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com