[CT Birds] Southport Survey #200 and then some

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Oct 21 15:30:17 EDT 2009

Southport Survey # 200
Off shore, produced a couple of fly-bys, the scoter scaup and ther RT
Loons. The Common Loons were feeding. On Sunken Island sat the Red-
breasted Merganser. and swimming about were a couple of Mallards,
Black Ducks and the Hooded Merganser.

The odd thing was that the Hooded Merganser (Im/F) was following a
male Mallard around. If the Mallard swam to the right the Merganser
followed. If the Mallard cut to the left so did the Merganser. Can we
expect some interesting hybrids next year?

At the golf course there is some new construction going on. There is
a pile driver working down near the river. In one of the ponds was a
surprise female Pintail. The Shorebirds were on the mud flat in the
river. The Western Sandpipers were new to the survey. The big decline
in egrets continues.

Dennis Varza

DATE	10/6	10/10	10/17	10/21
Tide	Low 	Low 	High	Low
Time	7:30	7:45	7:35	7:30

Brant	0_0_65_0
Canada Goose	25_27_30_33
Mute Swan	2_2_6_4
Mallard	19_8_10_13
Northern Pintail	0_0_0_1
Greater Scaup	0_0_0_2
Surf Scoter	0_0_1_1
Hooded Merganser	0_0_0_1
Red-breasted Merganser	0_0_0_1
Common Loon	0_1_0_3
Red-throated Loon	0_0_1_2
Double-crested Cormorant	38_39_23_65
Great Blue Heron   	1_3_2_0
Great Egret    	3_3_1_0
Snowy Egret  	8_7_0_1
Black-bellied Plover	0_0_8-2
Killdeer   	5_2_0_14
American Oystercatcher	0_3_0_0
Ruddy Turnstone		0_12_0_0
Semipalmated Sandpiper	0_0_4_0
Western Sandpiper	0_0_0_3
Bonaparte’s Gull	0_1_0_0
Laughing Gull Ad  	15_26_3_12
Ring-billed Gull Ad.	82_31_63_82
Ring-billed Gull Im.	2_1_3_2
Herring Gull Ad.   	136_108_55_150
Herring Gull Im.    	4_5_2_10
Great Black-backed Gull Ad.	9_3_2_15
Great Black-backed Gull Im.	0_0_1_0

After The survey I mad a run along the shore from Burying Hill Beach
Westport to Veteran’s Park in Norwalk 10:00 to 12:30

Reading Saunder’s records in the 40’s there should be hundreds of
Scoters out there.

Brant	365	Veteran’s Park
Canada Goose	400
Mute Swan	2
American Black Duck	14
Mallard	2
Hooded Merganser	4	2 pair in a little pond by Veteran’s Park.
Red-breasted Merganser	14	Cockonee Is.
Common Loon	5
Double-crested Cormorant	93
Great Blue Heron	1