[CT Birds] Out of State Birding and Rarities

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Wed Oct 21 21:12:08 EDT 2009

This may be of interest to the list:

Went to Staten Island today to try to see the Rufous Hummingbird and
Cackling Goose that were out there.
Got terrific looks at both birds.

2:45-4:00-Mt. Lorettto, Staten Island-
1 Cackling Goose-in with flock of Canadas. This is now the 5th day
this bird is being seen at this location.
There are mainly two flocks of Canadas here-check both.
The field marks for IDing the bird were the dark "ruddy" breast and
the short neck. Size is useful but there are two reasons why it should
not always be used in this situation.
1-The Canadas are feeding-when they bend down it becomes rather
difficult to judge size
2-Many Canadas bend their necks-they can really bend!
However, when the birds are up at their full height I could see the
size difference with my bare eye-pretty cool bird!

4:30-5:00-122 Hillside Ave, Staten Island
1 Rufous Hummingbird visiting the feeder of Howard Fischer, off and on.
Bird gave great looks-came right up to us! Textbook Plumage!
I want to thank Mr. Fischer for allowing people to view the bird.

Got some photos and a video of the Cackling at this link

Many Rarities in other states! Including:
A Sage Thrasher is still being seen in Sandy Hook, NJ

The Rufous Hummingbird:

The Cackler:

A Lark Sparrow at Montauk:

A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher-Orange Mun. Airport, MA

A Barnacle Goose, Martha's Vineyard

Le Conte's Sparrow, Cumbies, Middlebury

Pink-footed Geese-still there! Yarmouth, ME

Black-throated Gray-Warbler, Cumberland County, PA

Get out there and go birding!

Alex Burdo