[CT Birds] SE CT eider

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 13:24:49 EDT 2009

from Glenn Williams:
10/24 - Stonington Point -- 168 COMMON EIDER
w/Phil Rusch - Mystic, Ender's Island -- 4 COMMON EIDER

This was certainly my personal high count of Common Eider in Connecticut.  All but ten were on the water south and east of the point.  The other ten were migrating SW out of the Sound in RI and then NY waters.  Only one, scoter - a White-winged, was seen.  I ran into Phil at Ender's Island where he had two Common Eider fly by and two more passed while I was there.  Another distant flock of 30-50 ducks, probably eider, was visible between Ender's and Stonington Point and would have been blocked from my view at Stonington Point, so there were probably over 200 Common Eider in the area.

The only other birds of note were three oystercatchers on Sandy Point visible from Stonington Point.

Glenn Williams
Mystic