[CT Birds] Salisbury

ctredbird2 at comcast.net ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 16:16:12 EDT 2009

>From Jamie Meyers:
10/25 - Salisbury, Wononskopmuc Lake -- RED-NECKED GREBE, BONAPARTE'S GULL and BLACK SCOTER female, around 7:30 am.

I did a circuit of larger lakes in Litchfield County this morning and this was the only scoter action I could muster up.  From many chilly dawns at Nepaug I have noticed that a lot of times scoter flocks will split at first light so I was out early but that strategy pretty much failed.  I was pleasantly surprised to run across these birds after striking out at the Twin Lakes, which in the past have been pretty productive for me.

There was a nice assemblage of Pied-billed Grebes on Bantam Lake, especially looking north (left) from the boat ramp off the Litchfield town beach.  I counted 10 of them in a fairly compressed area, which is the most I have ever seen in one place.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT