[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Cove Island Park

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 21:47:43 EDT 2009

Hi All,

A slightly slower day than one might have expected at Cove Island Park. Highlights included 1 Black Scoter sitting on Holly Pond with some Brant (thanks to Catherine Hamilton for that spot), 1 Nelson's Sparrow of the inland race, a few flyover American Pipits (heard) and a couple of White-crowned Sparrows. The best birds of the day were found by Patrick Dugan so credit to him - a Red-headed Woodpecker which flew past before the group had arrived and a Cave Swallow which he picked up after the group had left. Fortunately for myself I had popped back to ask him and Frank Gallo a quick question and managed to jam in on seeing the bird fly over in amongst a group of Tree Swallows.

Out at Quaker Ridge today Richard Trepp (I hope spelling is right) brought in some great pictures of a Ruddy Shelduck from Sherwood Island - although an escaped bird, it is still rather beautiful.

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.sunrisebirding.com