[CT Birds] Bird window strike prevention

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 26 16:43:33 EDT 2009

From: John D Babington

The best of the three that I
have tried is the window film, which requires some help to get
on windows if the windows are large. I came upon another "solution" for
window bird strikes that may do the trick but we will see, UV static
cling decals. The UV static cling decals are placed on the outside of
the window and though transparent to humans reflect a solid blue (UV)
image to birds. One does have to place a number of these small UV
static cling decals on large windows. I have already put up a
number of these decals on windows here but figure I still need at least
96  more of the decals for our windows to hopefully prevent some birds
hitting the windows here.

Has anyone tried these UV static cling decals and have they helped with preventing window bird strikes?

Hi Dave,
  They work very well but of course are not 100%.  They do make a huge difference.  The mistake many make (that you have not) is putting them on the inside.  The birds still see the reflection of the trees, sky etc when they are placed inside and not out and still strike the windows.  By all means keep putting them on the outside.

Jim

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
www.fatrobin.com