[CT Birds] YES Western Kingbird, Hudsonian Godwit

Mardi W. Dickinson mardi1 at optonline.net
Mon Oct 26 22:18:19 EDT 2009

 From Mardi &Townsend Dickinson:
10/26 - Madison, Hammonasset SP -- WESTERN KINGBIRD 8:10am, HUDSONIAN
GOODWIT 8:25am in the same locations as previously posted. On my way
to a clients.
10/25 - Madison, Hammonasset SP -- WESTERN KINGBIRD at 4:17pm - 4:50pm
was finally relocated down near the old pavillion first at the back
end. I believe this was East Beach beyond the gravel parking lot
flying around and eating insects and perching on twigs and treetops.
The bird then flew back towards and behind the new constructon area
towards the West Beach side were we relocated it again. We got great
quick looks at the birds flight patterns to observe and identify it,
but not enough to get a good photo of it. Large head and bill. Pale
grey head with dark eyeline, pale throat and upper breast, pale yellow
lower breast to undertail coverts. The bird appeared to be quite
scruffy on its head and sides with feathers amiss., as though it might
have been in a battle and escaped by the skin of its wings so to speak!
HUDSONIAN GOODWIT was seen at two different times. 11:20am -12:42pm,
3:30-4:15pm was seen with great looks & photos first at original
location on West Beach, 2nd view was further down West Beach towards
the end. Nature Center Parking Lot -- Black-bellied Plovers 35+,
Dunlin 21, Carolina Wren.

Mardi Dickinson
Norwalk, CT