[CT Birds] Key bird conservation projects slated for funding

ELKINS, Kenneth kelkins at audubon.org
Wed Oct 28 13:18:51 EDT 2009

Dear Friends,

Good news from D.C.  The Interior Appropriations Conference Committee has just released their report on funding levels with the following news for Connecticut:

 *   $7 million for Long Island Sound  Stewardship and Restoration Acts*
 *   $2 million for additions to the Stewart B. McKinney NWR
 *   $2.5 million for additions to the Silvio O. Conte NWR
 *   $4 million for projects in the Highlands

Many thanks go to our House and Senate lawmakers who worked so hard to secure this funding!  These funding levels represent a real victory for Audubon's Long Island Sound Campaign, a partnership of Audubon Connecticut, Audubon New York and our DC policy office.  But the real credit goes to all of you - - our Audubon members and supporters - - who spoke out in support of these critical programs and projects. It couldn't have happened without your advocacy. Thank you!

The next step in the process is for the full House and Senate to vote on the Conference Committee's agreement, which should happen by the end of this week.  We'll keep you posted on details as they become available.  Apologies for any duplicates.

Best,

Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 264-5098 x307 phone
(203) 264-6332 fax
(203) 804-0488 cell

*While this is below the House passed level of $15 million, it is substantially more than the $3 million approved by the Senate budget, and more than double what Long Island Sound received last year.  The conference committee did not specify how the funding would be split between the LIS Restoration (water quality) and LIS Stewardship (land conservation) Acts, but charged stakeholders with coming up with the split, and reporting back to Congress on what they decide.

Ken Elkins
Education Programs Manager
Audubon Center at Bent of the River
185 Flat Hill Road