[CT Birds] Heavyweights at Lighthouse Point

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 19:12:07 EDT 2009

The big boys were flying at the Lighthouse Hawk Watch today,  and what we
lacked in quantity  (not bad at 150 raptors) we made up for  with sheer mass.
 We had 3 Golden Eagles. 2 flying together at 10:45 made a  nice slow pass
for us circling directly over the field, and another passed to  the north at
12:25.  2 sub-adults and 1 juvenile with nice big windows.  Also, 5 Bald
Eagles and a Northern Goshawk.  At one point we had a "flock"  (not really a
kettle) of 12 Red-tails and Red-shoulders directly over us. Only a  total of
40 Sharp-shinned Hawks and Coopers Hawks, which are normally the  majority
of the hawks counted. 37 Red-tails and 19 Red-shoulders total.  We  also had
our first Black Vulture of the year today, 2 were counted last year,  and
none for several years before.
We now have 7 Golden Eagles for the year, our best is 10, set 3  times, but
we have a month to go and November is a good month for them.   139 Bald
Eagles now, and our best, 2007, was 155.

Don Morgan
Coventry