[CT Birds] Sherwood Island State Park

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Fri Oct 30 06:20:07 EDT 2009

Larry, Frank, CT birders,
For several years, I've noticed the vines at Sherwood and last year was saddened to see all the dying pines at Sherwood.
There is a group, Friends of Sherwood Island that perhaps could spearhead a volunteer effort to reduce the vines, and
some fund-raising to replace some of the trees.

Porcelin Berry is very rampant at Greenwich Point, with several acres literally carpeted with the vines, which are suffocating
everything in their paths.  Japanese Knotweed is popping up everywhere now, too, and can clog up streams, ponds, causing
flooding.

UConn has had some sort of educational program, literature on invasives for several years, but is anyone in state, local agencies
paying any attention, much less doing anything to reduce the non-native plants?  We all should be very concerned, as invasives
have become a significant problem that profoundly affects native plant and wildlife biodiversity.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich