[CT Birds] owl behavior question

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 10:01:18 EDT 2009

Does anyone know how large of an area owls tend to hunt or range over in the
course of a night?  I'm curious because the other night I heard a Screech
Owl in the evening when I was out at the barn, then first thing the next
morning I heard one while walking my dog near my house.  My house and the
barn are about 3.5 miles apart by car so slightly less than that as the owl
flies.  I'm just curious as to whether this could have been the same owl or
if there are that many screech owls in the area?  I do hear them
occasionally around the house though I hear Barred and Great Horned more
often.  I seem to only hear the Screech owls in the fall and I have never
seen one, so I don't have a good sense of how common they really are.

Julie Keefer