[CT Birds] Stratford-Milford

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Oct 31 20:07:43 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

The trip was mainly to count shorebirds, but I did some looking around.

The Great Egrets were down to 3 in Lordship. Long Beach was full of
Kite-Surfers and fishermen
I sat at the seawall for an hour and saw nothing.

At Frash Pond there was an A /M Bufflehead and a Pied-billed Grebe.
these are the first migrants I have had for the season in the pond.
It would be wise to keep an eye on the pond now on.

At Stratford Marina I had 103 Greater Yellowlegs and 26 Yellow-
crowned Night-Heron.

The combined birds for Short Beach Stratford, and Milford Pt. include.

Brant	120
American Black Duck	60 mostly around the nesting bar
Green-winged Teal	1 on the nesting bar
Surf Scoter	5 in the main channel of the river.
Red-breasted Merganser	1	 hanging out by Laurel Beach
Double-crested Cormorant	11 Say good bye to the big flocks
Black-bellied Plover	88	Most at Short Beach
Semipalmated Plover	29 roosting by the red boat towards Laurel Beach
Sanderling	400 most on the nesting bar
Semipalmated Sandpiper	2 roosting by the red boat towards Laurel Beach
Western Sandpiper	3 roosting by the red boat towards Laurel Beach
Least Sandpiper	1 roosting by the red boat towards Laurel Beach
Dunlin	120	Most on the nesting bar
Laughing Gull	1 Short Beach
Ring Billed Gull	144 ad 5 im
Herring Gull	96 ad 6 im.
Great Black-backed Gull	4 ad 2 im.
Lapland Longspur	1

Milford, Mondo Ponds
Greater Yellowlegs	12
American Wigeon	5

A quick look-see at Caswell Cove produced 100 Fish Crows, 60 in one
tree and the rest scattered about.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield