[CT Birds] Fairfield Birds-Ash Creek and Sherman 11/1

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sun Nov 1 11:18:32 EST 2009

Ash Creek, Fairfield-

1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH-This bird really surprised me. It went from
the pines (gathering pine nuts) to the dec trees (gathering insects)
4 Black-capped Chickadee
7 Song Sparrow-Not much sparrow diversity at all-very quiet compared
to my last count two weeks ago
1 Downy Woodpecker
10 American Black Duck
3 American Wigeon
4 Double-crested Cormorant
1 Northern Mockingbird
1 Belted Kingfisher
2 Mute Swan
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Laughing Gull
3 Herring Gull
2 Ring-billed Gull
2 House Sparrow

Sherman Marsh, Fairfield
1 Song Sparrow
1 Swamp Sparrow
Sparrow numbers have dwindled so much at Sherman in the past two
weeks. I had gone 3 times before this without seeing anything.

The height of the sparrow push seems to be over, at least here in
Fairfield. Winter birds (like the nuthatch and wigeons) are setting
in. November is here!

Alex Burdo