[CT Birds] lighthouse point robins

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 16:22:38 EST 2009

Corrie,

I don't think there's any doubt that these robins are migrating. LHP at this time of year concentrates diurnal migrants of all kinds, from hawks and waterfowl to robins, waxwings, blackbirds and species such as pipts, finches etc. This is a directional flight, basically east to west following the coast, although many birds change direction to divert around New Haven harbor. This is occuring throughout the fall, starting with swallows, kingbirds and bobolinks early then moving on to the species migrating now. During years of boreal irruptions, species such as siskins etc also move through Lighthouse. Last fall produced  a huge siskin flight.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury