[CT Birds] Death toll from window strikes

Lynn Jones lynnjones11 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:08:11 EST 2009

This is another sad story to add to the conversation that was circulating
last week about window strikes.  At work we have been finding a steady
amount of dead birds from window strikes in a courtyard that is partially
enclosed by two corridors that are glass lined.  This morning we made
another trip through the courtyard to see what casualties were left from the
weekend and were astonished to find 8 Juncos right away.  By the time we
finished looking in that courtyard and another smaller, the bird totals were
16 Juncos, 1 White-throated Sparrow, and 1 Song Sparrow.  Then, while taking
our daily lunchtime bird walk we came across one of the groundskeepers who
showed us the bucket of birds he had picked up dead earlier that morning
from a different building that has 2 elevated glass corridors and is almost
completely covered with glass.  Those totals were 36 Juncos, 1
White-throated Sparrow, and 1 Golden-Crowned Kinglet.  If you add it all up
that is a total of 56 dead birds and another 4 stunned birds (all Juncos).
The link below leads to some pictures from today.

We are now full steam ahead on trying to find a way to eliminate or at least
reduce the number of strikes at both buildings.  Luckily we have some
support to get something installed, although I'm not sure how much yet.
Please contact me if you have any additional ideas or suggestions.  I'm
really interested in hearing how the UV films and other films are performing
when in use!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lynnjones11/BIRDS#5399638087622733794

ps.  The Hermit Thrush from last week recovered and flew away!  Thanks for
the help with the ID!

Lynn Jones
Stratford