[CT Birds] Window strikes on office buildings

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 3 06:39:46 EST 2009

I noted the item on all the bird bodies being collected outside an office. The office complex I once worked at in Wallingford, CT must have been built to kill birds. It is just off I-91, near Exit 15 (I think that was the exit number). It was very modern looking,  the whole building had a dark  glass cover. I remember arriving at the office one Spring morning and finding a wood thrush  dead on the walkway to my office door. I am still amazed how large buildings are built with most showing no effort to consider the birds. Do not get me going on cell, wind turbines, and other man made towers out there.

So far the UV reflective static stickers I have put up on some of the windows here appear to be working. The main problem with the stickers is that they are not cheap, I think they cost me about $7.50 per sticker to buy and I have so far put up about 70 of the stickers on windows here. Yesterday I noted a bird retreating from one of the windows on the front porch here from the part of the porch that is open. I hope not to find another fox sparrow dead by the the windows this winter. One other window strike dead bird I had a number of years ago was a brown thrasher.

PS - The UV reflective static stickers do not appear to work on plastic. One I put on a plastic storm door has not stayed on.

David W Babington
Washington, CT