[CT Birds] Southport Survey #201

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Nov 3 18:38:09 EST 2009

Southport Survey # 201
Sunken Island was cover and finally some activity off shore. The
loons were scattered about. and there were several seaducks about.
The Sanderling were roosting on a nearby jetty.

I noticed some interesting Kingfisher Behavior at the Pine Creek
Beach. There was a male and female sitting on the rock just above the
incoming water. The birds were facing each other and at irregular
intervals the birds would head bob. Then the female would turn away
with occasional bobs. Then the male would turn away, so that they
were back to back. Then the male turned around again so they were
front to back. They eventually moved to higher rocks as the tide came
in. I had to continue my survey route.  But it was odd seeing 2 bird
together like that not fishing or flying around chasing each other.

At the golf course, the Great Egret and Pied-billed Grebes were in
the pond. I usually see the grebes in the harbor during the dead of
winter. There were also plenty of Ring-billed Gulls on the lawns.

The four pair of Hooded Mergansers were in the mill pond. Southport
Beach just had Gulls.

Dennis Varza

DATE	10/10	10/17	10/21	11/3
Tide	Low 	High	Low 	High