[CT Birds] Westport Gannets, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 7 06:22:22 EST 2009

>From Frank Mantlik
11/6 Westport, Compo Beach - 2 adult NORTHERN GANNETS working the Sound, wide-ranging, apparently not finding any prey.  Also 17 Red-breasted Mergansers and 8 Black-bellied Plovers at the jetty at corner of Hillspoint & Soundview.  Surprisingly I saw very few migrant raptors overhead when I had a chance to glance skyward.

At 1 Longview there was a flock of 46 Cedar Waxwings & 8 robins feeding on a cherry tree, and a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH feeding on the plentiful cones of a white pine.

11/6 Stratford, Great Meadows Marsh (near airport) at dusk - 3 Black-crowned Night-herons in flight.