[CT Birds] Hammo 11/8

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 16:42:53 EST 2009

>From Jamie Meyers:
11/8 -- Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- WESTERN KINGBIRD continues.  At 8:30 it flew from the area on the east side of the rotary across the rotary and into some trees near Swan Pond.  About half an hour later it was back in the same tree on the east side.  First time I've seen it but the tail didn't look that short to me.  Also, 8 COMMON EIDERS off the Meig's Point jelly, joined by about that many BLACK SCOTERS and a female scoter sp. that I think was a Surf but she was difficult to get a look at, due to the choppy water and wind.
East Haddam, East-Haddam/Colchester Turnpike -- 3 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS in trees on the north side of the road not far up from CT 151.

No reports from Hammo today so I figured I'd fill it in.  I also spent considerable time combing wooded areas and water spots in Middlesex County looking for ducks and other expected Nov. stuff and wow was it generally quiet, except for Golden-crowned Kinglets.  Those little gems are all over the place.

It was so warm out that I saw a decent number of Autumn Meadowhawks as well.  Sigh.  Probably my last odes of 2009.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT