[CT Birds] PACIFIC LOON!! Quassy

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 11:09:08 EST 2009

>From Greg Hanisek
11/10 Middlebury, L. Quassapaug - PACIFIC LOON found this morning; there is no true public access to the lake, but the place where I first saw it, the Sandy Beach Club, is fairly accessible. From Rt 64 in Middlebury, heading W, turn N (right) on Tranquility Road (the spot that had the Red-headed Woodpecker); continue more than a mile to Sandy Beach Road and make a left; follow the road to the Sandy Beach Club, where a large portion of the lake can bee seen from OUTSIDE the club fence. DO NOT GO INTO THE CLUB GROUNDS unless there's someone present who can give permission; the bird was very active and working the area visible from the club; telescope needed; there are also private areas on Rt 64 that are accessible but I don't feel I can identify them on a public forum.
I believe the bird is a juvenile, based on extensive pale edging to the back feathers, but age needs to be confirmed. The bird has been very active, swimming, diving and covering a lot of ground, back and forth. There are no other loons on the lake. There's one L-t Duck and a bunch of gulls.