[CT Birds] Hog Island Audubon Camp will reopen!

ELKINS, Kenneth kelkins at audubon.org
Wed Nov 11 15:33:40 EST 2009

Fellow Birders,
We have great news to share with you!   The renowned Audubon Camp on Hog Island, in Maine's wild and scenic Muscongus Bay, will reopen for four ornithology sessions in late May and June of 2010.  Steve Kress, Vice President of Bird Conservation and Director of the Seabird Restoration Program, will manage the camp.  Steve has hired some of the finest ornithologists in the United States to be on the teaching staff:  Kenn Kauffman, Pete Dunne, Scott Weidensaul, Lang Elliot, Chris Lewey, Sarah Morris, and others.
The camp was closed this past summer due to financial challenges faced by Maine Audubon, who had been managing the camp for the past ten years,  Previous to that, it had always been run through the national office.  We have to show that the legendary Audubon Camp, where Roger Tory Peterson, Rachel Carson, and other luminaries met and were inspired by the rugged beauty of the 330 acre spruce covered island, can be financially sustainable.  I would like to call upon each of you to help us publicize these four weeks of programs, which include:
Late May -   Seabird Conservation and actual censusing of seabirds on offshore islands
Mid-late June    -    Two five day field ornithology sessions led by the instructors listed above
Early September   -  another week on seabird nesting islands, this time doing habitat management work on Eastern Egg Rock, where federally-endangered Roseate Terns, along with puffins, nest.
All the information on the camps can be found by going to   http://www.projectpuffin.org/OrnithCamps.html    You will find photos of the lodgings, etc.
Many thanks!
Pete Salmansohn
Education Coordinator