[CT Birds] Stratford yard/woods-

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:56:11 EST 2009

11/12, Stratford yard/woods-  A tree-clinger convention today in my woods.  All six woodpeckers, 2 creepers and both nuthatches.  I don't recall ever having all those in one hike.  There were 2 Red-breasted nuthatches working some cedars that dot the border of the powerline cut, calling to one another.  The pair of creepers were in the same tree as a male Sapsucker. The call of a Pileated echoed through the woods and I eventually saw him making his way up a large hickory.  Some other birds were a handful of Yellow-rumps, a single female Towhee, a mixed bag of sparrows and Juncos including White-throat, Song, Swamp and one Chipper, and the Winter wren continues to enjoy the branch and log piles left in the cut from when UI trimmed it. Great horned, Barred and Screech owls all seen/heard in various Stratford locales so far this month.  -Brian Webster-
Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop.