[CT Birds] Housatonic River-Lordship

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Nov 12 16:38:37 EST 2009

Hi Folks

I have been away from the area for a week and this was general
coverage to see what has changed. The strong east winds made things a
challenge, because the tender species may have been in hiding rather
then gone.

Milford, Milford Pt. Stratford, in general including Stratford
Marina, Birdseye Boat Ramp, Frash Pond,  Refuge, Airport, Long Beach,
Short Beach and the seawall.

The shorebirds were on the jettys at Long Beach instead of the sand
bars at Milford Pt. Most of the loons were off Long Beach instead of
off the seawall.

At Stratford Marina there were no Yellowlegs or Yellow-crowned Night-
Herons. I think the birds don’t like the lack of leaves on the trees.
Last time I was there there were only 12 birds and they were sitting
on the pilings and lowest branches, not in the tops.

Frash Pond is getting busy and produced the first Canvasback

The number of gulls, Black Ducks, and Mallards is an estimate of the
total populations from Laurel Beach Milford to Long Beach.

Dennis Varza

Brant	6
Gadwall	14
American Black Duck	140