[CT Birds] Pac Loon trivia

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 16:31:38 EST 2009

At least 2 people have mentioned the Great Black-backed  Gull was seen in
the vicinity of the Loon.  I was there from 7:30 to 8:30  on Thursday and
managed to get a decent look at him, even though it was very  choppy then too.
When I got there he was at the mouth of the cove to the  left of the park
(thanks Jim), but he disappeared after a few minutes.   When he's actively
feeding, which seems to be most of  the time, he is  underwater far more than
on top.  Then I noticed the GBBG, who had been in  the same area as the
Loon, suddenly lifted off and flew to the middle of the  lake on the left side.
I scanned the area near him, and voila' !  The  Loon surfaced about 100
feet away.  This worked repeatedly until I  left.  I think the Gull is
shadowing the Loon, probably hoping to pick up a  stray morsel.  The 2 don't seem to
directly associate at all, but I think  you can use that Gull as a marker
to locate the Loon.
I know nothing about the Park, but the gentleman I met was very  friendly
and accommodating.  However, it seems that the gates are open  because they
are working there.  Perhaps that means they will be closed on  the weekend.
I have no idea, but if anyone goes I hope they will let us  know.

Don Morgan
Coventry