[CT Birds] Strange shorebirds

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Nov 14 09:19:53 EST 2009

11/14, Penfield Reef, Fairfield,  9:00 a.m.

The waves are pounding and the surf is very high on to the beach. Some interesting shorebirds though--- in with the flock of sanderlings and ruddy turnstones and dunlins was 1 semipalmted plover, which I have not seen in quite some time, and 1 juvenile RED KNOT. This bird is rare on Penfield Reef even during August, so this was a an amazing sighting, as well as being the first knot I've seen at Penfield Reef. Keep your eyes out today--- who knows what else might have gottin blown in.

James Randall