[CT Birds] Southport Survey 203

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Nov 15 14:42:20 EST 2009

Survey # 203
On the blurry horizon birds could be seen moving east. The loons
continue to be about, this time a lot more Red-throated Loons. The
Red-breasted Mergansers were working the area were the sunken Island
would have been at low tide. Laughing Gulls were out sitting on the
water scattered about.

The Pied-billed Grebe continues at the golf course, and there was one
yellowlegs at the edge of a pond. Most of the Ring-billed Gulls were
on the golf course. They all took off and the ducks moved to the
middle of the ponds, at first I could not find the disturbance. Then
a Coyote walked out into the open. It sat down and started grooming
itself! Eventually it walked off when people started comming around.

At Southport beach the Turnstones flew by to the east. These birds
have been around for a week, mainly hanging out at Compo Beach. I
guess it was getting crowded over there with beach walkers.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	10/21	11/3	11/7	11/15
Tide	Low	High	Low	High