[CT Birds] scoter ID help

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:37:24 EST 2009

We spent a little bit of time at Hammonasset late this morning.  We saw the
large flock of Common Eiders, at least 3 Black Scoters, 3-4 Common Loons,
and there was one other Scoter out there that I am not sure which one it
was.  It was with the Black Scoters for a time and was very obviously much
bigger than they were.  It had no real obvious markings though its chest was
lighter than the rest of the bird and it appeared to have a slight whitish
or grey line curving down and back from its eye.  No other color on the head
and no other obvious color on it.  It did have a bigger, more bulbous bill
than the Black Scoters.  First winter Surf Scoter is my best guess based on
the pictures in my Sibley.  Any help would be appreciated!  We also saw a
large flock of Horned Larks, I counted 21 birds, in the West Beach Parking
area (I think that is what that large parking area is called).  We also saw
a Northern Harrier at the far end of that West Beach parking area.

Thanks!

Julie Keefer