[CT Birds] NHBC Sherwood Island SP Walk-Pequot Library Trip 11/14

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:08:33 EST 2009

 Greetings,

     Yesterday's New Haven Bird Club walk at Sherwood Island SP had 33 participants who came out, despite the threatening skies and windy conditions.The rain held off until our arrival at the library at 10:30AM.We had 38 species,highlights being a NORTHERN GANNET,COMMON LOONS just offshore,1 AMERICAN KESTREL,1 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER,and a SNOW BUNTING.The real highlight of the trip was seeing the double elephant portfolio Bien edition of Audubon's "Birds of America" at the historic Pequot Library in Southport and having it's executive director,Dan Snydacker,personally turning the pages and relaying to us,so much of the history of  the library and it's special natural history collection.We also saw books by Alexander Wilson,Thomas Nuttall,Henry Nehrling,John Gould,and Daniel Giraud Elliot.Many thanks to Dan for sharing these treasures with us and we hope this will become a tradition for many years to come.

Tina Green

Westport