[CT Birds] Stonington/Mystic red-necked grebes

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 18:16:38 EST 2009

11/17 -  Enders Island, Mystic/Stonington

I spent most of the day at Avondale Farm Preserve in the Avondale/Westerly
area of Rhode Island where among other birds I had my first of the season
Am.  tree sparrows.  On the way back to Waterford I decided to make a quick
stop at Enders Island.  Very few ducks there other than 1 f. common eider
and 11 very distant m. surf scoters.  But I was very excited to observe
fairly close in 2 RED-NECKED GREBES among 15 c. loons and several  dc
cormorants.

There were also many seals lounging on the rocks in the middle of the
harbor.  And there were 5 buffleheads in the cove which separates Mason's
Island from the mainland (viewed from Mason's Island Rd.)

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford