[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Bald Eagle Record tied

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 18:39:01 EST 2009

Hi All,

Today we tied the season high record for Bald Eagles at an almost incredible 173 birds. It's amazing when talking to some of the regulars who have been at the hawkwatch over the past 20+ years or so, or scanning back through the data on hawkcount.org to realize what an incredible recovery in numbers this is from the dark days of the early hawkwatches at Quaker Ridge when Bald Eagles were still on the early stages of the comeback trail. Certainly a heartening experience to see these birds flourishing.

On another note I just wanted to say what a wonderful experience the NHBC trip to the Pequot Library was on Saturday. Congrats to Tina Green for arranging this tour of their incredible collection of Ornithological Literature. Highlight for me personally was the amazing artwork of John Gould's Hummingbirds. If you didn't manage to get along this year, make sure you book the date in the diary for next year - it really was quite an unforgettable experience.

Luke Tiller, Wilton