[CT Birds] Missing Birds

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Nov 18 20:32:43 EST 2009

Hi Folks

It is clear that a number of species that are normally regular to
common have become scarce down here in the Fairfield-Stratford Area.
More consequences of the rainy June?

American Wigeon-Eursaian Wigeon
There should be 20 to 100 birds in Aspetuck Reservoir Easton, and
another 20 to 50 birds at Seaside Park in Bridgeport. Plus, there
should be birds at St. Johns. Now there are no birds in Aspetuck Res.
a few in the Ash Creek/Seaside Park, none at St. John's and obviously
no Eurasian Wigeons reported anywhere.

Canvasback.
Frash Pond Stratford, usually by now there should be 50 or so birds
there, For the past week there has been only one.

Great Cormorant
This species seems to be in decline in the area the past couple of
years. This year I would be hard pressed to show someone a bird this
month. Is this the back end of global warming? They are not coming
south anymore?

American Coot
In my area there are two sites (Lake Forest Bridgeport, Stratford
Marina area) that get several coot at this time. So far I have only
seen one bird in Lake Forest a couple of weeks ago. Inland, Lakes and
reservoirs should be getting numbers around 100, but I have not seen
many reported.

Conversely, this season seems good for Surf Scoters and Common Eiders

Then again if every year was the same, it would be rather boring
after a couple of years.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield