[CT Birds] Missing Birds Grt Corm

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Wed Nov 18 21:23:07 EST 2009

One bird out of that group has caught my eye in recent years. It seems the
center of abundance for wintering Great Cormorants has shifted from the
Sound itself to the lower Conn. R. For the last few years the numbers from
Essex north all the way to East Haddam has been pretty impressive, while the
species seems harder to come by in the Sound (although Norwalk Is. may be an
exception. Larry?). Maybe someone like Bill Yule could comment on whether
there really is an increase in the river, or I've just noticed more for some
reason.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury