[CT Birds] Pacific Loon YES

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Thu Nov 19 16:02:38 EST 2009

 From Alex Burdo and James Orrico with Greg Hanisek

11/19/09:
11:10-12:00
Middlebury, Lake Quassapaug

PACIFIC LOON continues
Seen swimming throughout the lake, covering a lot of ground. The bird
went within distance where I could see it with my bare eye to a
distant view through a scope. It also dove many times and then
disappeared until it relocated, sometimes very far from where it dove.
Was able to get some nice shots of the bird when it got closer.
I looked for the rounded head, pale gray nape, and white throat.

Also seen of note-1 Bald Eagle and Two Turkey Vultures

1:40-2:20
Litchfield, White Memorial's Point Folly

1 Pied-billed Grebe, seen swimming and preening

Very Strange-no ducks besides 15 Mallards and 3 American Black Ducks
present.

Also 1 Belted Kingfisher

 From Alex Burdo:
11/19/09 - Middlebury, Lake Quassapaug -- 11:10-12:00-PACIFIC LOON
continues
Seen swimming throughout the lake, covering a lot of ground. The bird
went within distance where I could see it with my bare eye to distant
view through a scope. It also dove many times and then disappeared
until it relocated, sometimes very far from where it dove. I looked
for the rounded head, pale gray nape, and white throat. Also 1 Bald
Eagle.
Litchfield, White Memorial's Point Folly -- 1 Pied-billed Grebe seen
swimming and preening

Alex Burdo
Fairfield