[CT Birds] Gullish thievery

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Nov 19 16:09:47 EST 2009

The large gulls, jaegers, some tubenoses, etc will often try to snatch food from resurfacing diving birds. I have often used this larid behavior to alert me to the location of solitary divers such as alcids on Long Island Sound. This opportunistic feeding strategy also translates on land, well with gulls anyway. I once had a piece of pizza snatched out of my hand by a Herring Gull. It came from behind me and snatch the pizza. It didn't get all of it however, I managed to hang onto part of it. It's not the easiest thing to get a piece of pizza or a beer out of my hand.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.