[CT Birds] belated: Landfill 11/17, Hammo 11/18

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:08:27 EST 2009

Made my first visit of the season to the Windsor-Bloomfield Landfill
on Tuesday afternoon. There was a decent number of gulls to sort
through (1000-1200), but the only bird of interest was an adult LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL in heavy flight feather molt. There were several
sparrows around the periphery including 2 imm WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS
and 6 Field Sparrows.

Kim Radziwon and I walked around the campground at Hammo yesterday
afternoon. We came across a few nice pockets of landbirds. The
highlight was 2 BALTIMORE ORIOLES, and likely a third, but looks at
bird #3 were very brief and can only be called a "Northern" Oriole
(aka Baltimore/Bullock's), though what I saw in those few seconds was
highly suggestive of Baltimore (face pattern). Also had a RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, which have been pretty scarce along the coast this autumn.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/