[CT Birds] Common goldeneye, Point Folly, Bantam Lake, Litchfield

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 20 17:18:51 EST 2009

Stopped at Point Folly on Bantam Lake in Litchfield about 2:30 or so today (20 November, Friday). Good looks at a pied bill grebe from the parking lot at Point Folly. Went to the viewing platform and had  15 mute swan, a few mallards, a group of about 10 common merganser, about 50 American robins, and the juvenile male common goldeneye that has been previously reported.

I later (about 3:30 PM or so) stopped at the White Memorial Museum to check out the blind behind  the museum. Just as I got to the blind birds were flying out of the area fast. I sat in the blind just a few minutes but no birds returned to the feeders by the blind. As I left the blind I saw a large Cooper's hawk flying in front of museum. The local birds were wise to get out of the area.

I did check the southwest corner of Lake Bantam (South Bay) for waterfowl, on Rt 209, about 3:45 PM or so but there only a few mallards about there.

David W Babington
Washington, CT