[CT Birds] Highway Birding

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Fri Nov 20 18:09:10 EST 2009

Hi Rob,

I've developed a comfort zone for where peregrines do and don't perch
which periodically needs to be expanded.  I'm most familiar with them
perched on rocks (cliff tops and ledges, talus piles), Redcedar
snags, and of course buildings and bridge supports.  But, I've also
seen them on leafed out trees, wooden fence posts, iron fence posts,
beaches, high tension and radio towers, billboards, lightposts, and
also on ice sheets, emergent mud flats, and in shallow water.  The
Gold Star Bridge (New London) peregrines perch on lightposts, and the
Quinnipiac Bridge peregrines often are seen on the high tension
towers.  In general, the birds want open space and high elevations
where they can jump out and begin flapping flight quickly.  It takes
a bit of time to gain elevation from a low start point.  Or, they
will come in to low areas specifically for drinking water or
consuming prey.  More generally, I think they will perch wherever
they want to perch.

Steve Broker